Thank you for supporting Pasadena City College's INSCAPE MAGAZINE.
Pleae Note: Due to the high number of submissions and Submittable's fees for magazines to use their service, we must cap our number of submissions each month. If you are unable to submit because the submission period closed early due to a large number of submissions, please come back and submit the next month. Thanks for your understanding.
We are always accepting rolling submissions
We are a small, student-run publication that operates on 16 week semesters with a faculty adviser. PCC Inscape is a class (ENG 7) taken for credit at Pasadena City College. Students learn the ins and outs of literary journal publication, web and social media presence for the journal, and develop content such as blogs, critical reviews, creative work, and interviews with professional artists and writers. Students also learn how to evaluate submissions for literary journal publication, and design the print and online issues. It is an invaluable educational experience that supports the literary community at large by teaching students how to become professional members of the writing and publishing community.
We publish at least one (sometimes two) print issues per year that celebrate the work of PCC Students, Faculty, Staff and Alumni. In addition, we publish two online issues per year that celebrate the work of writers and artists near and far. We sometimes do special projects like chapbooks and broadsides.
We have published work by and interviews with Richie Hoffman, Steph Cha, Genevieve Kaplan, Sean Bernard, Don Campbell, Viet Thanh Nguyen, Kiyoshi Nakazawa and more. (If you are a writer interested in being interviewed by a staff member, it's a great learning experience for them and should be fun for you! Contact us!)
We are supported by a VERY SMALL grant from Pasadena City College, and your generous donations.
We offer the Handley Creative Writing Scholarship Prize each year to the best student work submitted to PCC Inscape each year.
We love having guest bloggers contribute critical essays, cultural-event reviews, interviews and profiles, personal essay and reflection in conversation with art, literature, and culture, and more! PCC Students and writers everywhere, please submit your work to be featured on INSTRESS: The Inscape Blog
Some possible topics and themes include:
- music reviews (old and new) and music "journalism" and profiles as well as creative music "journeys"
- recovery (from addiction, alcoholism, process addictions)
- mental health experiences and awareness issues
- cultural events around Pasadena and elsewhere
- reviews or critical investigation of poems, short stories, literature, or any subject that interests you
- for PCC Students, often your essays written in History, English, Art, Sociology, Psychology, Theatre, Science and Environmentalism, etc. can be a great blog post and idea!
- body positivism movement and self+care regiment
- Loveability and Self+love
- LGBTQ experiences, stories, events
- We welcome Blog Series proposals too!
Please submit with a BIO (your first and last name, any academic or creative affiliations, and any other tidbits you'd like to share) and make clear your affiliation or non-affiliation with Pasadena City College . Include a selfie photo please.
Blogs can be anywhere from 500 words to 2000. We may break your longer blog up into multiple posts. We welcome photographs and other media to feature with your blog but you are responsible for permissions on these items (or citations).
Please Submit Here if you are a PCC Student, Faculty, Staff, Alumnus, Administrator.
General Call for Submissions Open!
WE ARE ACCEPTING WORK FOR THE SPRING 2020 NON-THEMED ONLINE AND INPRINT ISSUES! YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED IN NOVEMBER 2019 of ACCEPTANCE.
- Please submit all work in a single file (Except artwork).
- Please SAVE AS .doc or .docx with unique file name - Inscape.Genre.Name.
- Please include titles of work in your cover letter, along with a brief 25-100 word bio. We may edit your bio.
- Please include a "selfie" with your submission as a separate .jpg
- Poems - Submit no more than 3-5 poems in a Single File. We take long poems too, so if you have a very long poem, consider sending only that poem.
- Fiction - Please send no more than 2 stories at a time, no more than 5 typed, double spaced pages. Query if you'd like to send something longer.
- Non-Fiction/Creative Non-Fiction - Please send no more than 2 essays at a time, no more than 5 typed, double spaced pages. Query if you'd like to send something longer.
- Critical Reviews, Academic Essays, Blogs, Cultural Criticism etc. Please include one submission only. If you have a blog topic suggestion or query, send it with a sample of your own writing.
- Hybrid/Flash work - We like unique, strange, hybrid stuff and also "flash" or short short short pieces too! Please send no more than 5 or so "flash" pieces at a time. Query about hybrid work if you can't send a file. (Links are ok for audio, video, or online cloud storage to showcase work).
- Please submit artwork and photography separately (not in this field).
Purchase our most recent issue to support our students! We are a community college journal and depend on your donations! The magazine is connected to a class that teaches students important, real-world skills like collaboration, team work, and critical thinking, plus some really great job skills like building websites, interviewing, editing, organizational skills, and more.
Plus, you know you have a soft spot for the artists and writers . . .
and thanks for circulating our website on your social media! http://www.pccinscape.com
Include your full name and mailing address with your payment of $7.
Requests sent between June 10-August 31 will be held and processed in September.